Together, we can help young people transform their lives. And on GiveNOLA Day, Tuesday, May 7, you can DOUBLE your impact, dollar-for-dollar, thanks to a matching gift from Scott Satterwhite!
- Schedule your gift today by clicking here. (Starting May 1st)
- Or donate on GiveNOLA Day
- Create a Fundraiser on our behalf through the GiveNOLA portal here.
- Together, we can transform lives by meeting our $75,000.00 goal.
- Suggested text and other information on GiveNOLA Day here.
*Free Gumbo until the pot runs out!
At Café Reconcile, YOU are Building Hope and Changing Lives for New Orleans most vulnerable youth.
And for that, we are grateful.
Since opening in 2000 as a grassroots cafeteria, donors like YOU have transformed more than 1,800 young people’s lives through eight weeks of Café Reconcile’s signature workforce training program.
YOU are building hope.
But that’s not all that YOU do.
YOU change lives through alumni support services.
With your support, our doors remain open to hundreds of alumni each year who need coaching to remain connected to employment and resources. . .
. . . because everyone needs a little help to make their dreams come true.
And, that’s the magic of our program.
But, the work is not over AND need is great right now. Thousands of young people throughout the Greater New Orleans region are unemployed and not in school. Thousands needing YOUR support.
Join us for lunch (Free Gumbo!) on GiveNOLA Day and make your donation!
For friends and volunteers!
SUGGESTED TEXT FOR SOCIAL MEDIA:
YOU can Build Hope & Change Lives by making a gift to Café Reconcile on GiveNOLA Day! Your gift will be matched, dollar-for-dollar, up to $25,000. Schedule your gift or donate today at https://www.givenola.org/reconcile-new-orleans
CAFE RECONCILE SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cafereconcile/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cafereconcile/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CafeReconcile
Create a Personal Fundraiser on GiveNOLA
Creating a Fundraiser on the GiveNOLA page, on behalf of Café Reconcile, gives you (and us) the ability to track donors that participate because you asked. It’s easy! And sharing it on social media starting May 1st will have a huge impact.
- Click here: https://www.givenola.org/reconcile-new-orleans
- Create an account
- It will ask for:
a. Title – something like “Feed Your Soul at Café Reconcile” would be great.
b. URL – You will be able to access and share your page using this URL. For example, if you enter “mycampaign” in this field, your unique URL will display as www.givenola.org/mycampaign. It can be anything but keep in mind the public will see it.
c. Campaign Video – not mandatory, but if you can make a video and post on YouTube, then this is where you can share it.
d. Summary – Pick a talking point above or write your own story as to why you support Café Reconcile.
e. Photo – If you can come to lunch or stop by in the next couple of days and get a photo of yourself under our sign that would be a GREAT photo for this spot. Otherwise, you can use the attached print out with a selfie, or anything you want!
f. Goal – this is your fundraising goal, perhaps mention it in your summary.
- Need help? Bring your laptop to the café on Tuesday, April 30th at 10am and we can do it together! Or contact Janet at 504-934-1637.
YOUR DONORS ARE IN GOOD HANDS…
Rest assured you and your donors are in good hands. Every donor will receive a personalized thank you e-mail within 2 hours of making a contribution on GiveNOLA Day. They will also receive a formal thank you letter within a week. And, a note from a student within three weeks.
FEED YOUR SOUL!
Last week The New Orleans Business Alliance introduced the inaugural class for a new program designed to improve local workforce development efforts and create innovative solutions to the challenges faced by workers and businesses.
Café Reconcile is proud to announce that Program Director, Kathy Litchfield is a member of this esteemed class.
Click here to read more about it from the New Orleans Business Alliance for Economic Development.
Reports to: Captain Lead Floor Trainer
Reconcile New Orleans’ (RNO) mission is to transform the lives of young people and the community through the ministry of reconciliation. We do this by: encouraging personal growth, providing workforce development and training, promoting entrepreneurship, working with businesses, nonprofits and people of faith to support this transformation and building strong communities through community economic development.
Reconcile welcomes six classes of students a year. Each class has 15-25 young people ages 16-24 years old. All are disconnected from work and/or school. Reconcile’s mission is to help each young person overcome barriers in their lives that are making the connection to a job and/or school difficult.
The Trainer/Serveracts as the direct coach for the students during their six-week rotation in the Cafe Front of House. Emphasis of training includes soft skills based upon the Reconcile Eight Habits of Success as well as hard skills around standard restaurant service and On the Job Training. All of this training takes place in the real time of a working Cafe during a busy rush hour while customers are served lunch.
- Utilize morning and afternoon Check in/ evaluation of assigned student on check lists and laptop
- Demonstrate/Coach Checklists and Operational Forms
- Demonstrate/Coach Service techniques
- Demonstrate/Coach operation of POS system
Utilizing and Teaching the 8 Habits of Success (The Soft Skills:)
- Be on time
- Be present all day every day
- Accept and follow direction
- Work well with others even when its difficult
- Have a positive not a negative attitude towards the work
- Take care of your personal appearance everyday
- Get things done in the expected time
- Do a quality job in each and every task
Life Skills Mentoring/ Development :
- Once per week attendance at morning breakfast/ Word of the Day (8:30-9:00) to interact with current students
- Attendance at bi-weekly one hour Professional Development sessions to improve soft skill mentoring
- Attend YPQI (Youth Program Quality Initiative) sessions as scheduled
- Attend Why Try classes with students as assigned to promote community
Financial Control/ Donations
- Demonstrate how this position impacts overall Sales and Profitability
- Explain the importance of being a good steward of Café Reconcile
- Show how specific products/ tasks impact Finances
- Teach the importance soliciting donations at our non-profit organization
Specific Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Coaching Students in the assigned area to conduct proper operating procedures
- Ensure opening/ongoing and closing procedures for Service area are completed correctly
- Serving guests during service hours
- Maintain Food Safety Guidelines
- Maintain daily operating procedures, checklists and duties
- Maintain a fun learning environment
- Be a positive coach and mentor
- The most important qualification is a deep and genuine desire to help RNO meet its mission of helping young people, age 16-24 and disconnected from work and school, transform their lives with the support of the Reconcile staff.
- Experience in training with youth preferred.
- Experience in restaurant operations preferred. Front of the House knowledge a plus.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required. College degree a plus.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications.
- Previous track record of consistently exceeding guest expectations and have an uncompromising approach to service and follow through.
- Demonstrated passion for hospitality industry.
- Ability to put student first and self last.
- An understanding that personal life experiences may not inform the work.
- Ability to proactively communicate with peers and supervisors, especially around difficult conversations.
- Ready, willing, and excited to learn new things, have new experiences, and have traditional thinking challenged.
- Open to feedback and willing to immediately implement feedback.
- Strong ability to manage emotions in what is sometimes a highly emotional work environment.
- Prepared to always assume the best of coworkers and students.
- An understanding and recognition of how structural racism affects and impacts the daily lives and job search for Reconcile students.
- A deep commitment to social justice.
- An understanding of the difference between equity and equality and how both might affect Reconcile students.
- At times, a flexible work schedule may be required to include nights, weekends and holidays. The regular expected training shift is Monday – Friday 8am – 4pm.
This position will pay an industry-competitive hourly wage with tips. Starting rate is $7.25 per hour plus tips – with opportunities for merit-based increases at 90-days employment, six months and annually. Cafe Reconcile also offers paid holidays that fall on regularly scheduled work days.
To apply: send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Reconcile New Orleans transforms the lives of young adults and the community through the ministry of reconciliation.
We do this by encouraging personal growth, providing workforce development and training, promoting entrepreneurship, working with businesses, nonprofits and people of faith to support this transformation, and building strong communities through community economic development.
Featuring soul-filled local dishes and some of the city’s lowest prices, Café Reconcile is a destination lunch spot for a wide cross-section of New Orleanians as well as visitors from all across the country.
The Café is open weekdays for lunch from 11:00am to 2:30pm.
Get in Touch
Phone: (504) 568-1157
Fax: (504) 568-9599
Sign up for our newsletter!
Membership Mondays! Coming soon…
Cafe Reconcile Internal Portals
- Staff Portal here.
- Board Portal coming soon.
- Alumni Portal coming soon.