Now Hiring: Server/Trainer
Reports to: Captain Lead Floor Trainer
Reconcile New Orleans’ (RNO) mission is to transform the lives of young people and the community through the ministry of reconciliation. We do this by: encouraging personal growth, providing workforce development and training, promoting entrepreneurship, working with businesses, nonprofits and people of faith to support this transformation and building strong communities through community economic development.
Reconcile welcomes six classes of students a year. Each class has 15-25 young people ages 16-24 years old. All are disconnected from work and/or school. Reconcile’s mission is to help each young person overcome barriers in their lives that are making the connection to a job and/or school difficult.
The Trainer/Serveracts as the direct coach for the students during their six-week rotation in the Cafe Front of House. Emphasis of training includes soft skills based upon the Reconcile Eight Habits of Success as well as hard skills around standard restaurant service and On the Job Training. All of this training takes place in the real time of a working Cafe during a busy rush hour while customers are served lunch.
- Utilize morning and afternoon Check in/ evaluation of assigned student on check lists and laptop
- Demonstrate/Coach Checklists and Operational Forms
- Demonstrate/Coach Service techniques
- Demonstrate/Coach operation of POS system
Utilizing and Teaching the 8 Habits of Success (The Soft Skills:)
- Be on time
- Be present all day every day
- Accept and follow direction
- Work well with others even when its difficult
- Have a positive not a negative attitude towards the work
- Take care of your personal appearance everyday
- Get things done in the expected time
- Do a quality job in each and every task
Life Skills Mentoring/ Development :
- Once per week attendance at morning breakfast/ Word of the Day (8:30-9:00) to interact with current students
- Attendance at bi-weekly one hour Professional Development sessions to improve soft skill mentoring
- Attend YPQI (Youth Program Quality Initiative) sessions as scheduled
- Attend Why Try classes with students as assigned to promote community
Financial Control/ Donations
- Demonstrate how this position impacts overall Sales and Profitability
- Explain the importance of being a good steward of Café Reconcile
- Show how specific products/ tasks impact Finances
- Teach the importance soliciting donations at our non-profit organization
Specific Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Coaching Students in the assigned area to conduct proper operating procedures
- Ensure opening/ongoing and closing procedures for Service area are completed correctly
- Serving guests during service hours
- Maintain Food Safety Guidelines
- Maintain daily operating procedures, checklists and duties
- Maintain a fun learning environment
- Be a positive coach and mentor
- The most important qualification is a deep and genuine desire to help RNO meet its mission of helping young people, age 16-24 and disconnected from work and school, transform their lives with the support of the Reconcile staff.
- Experience in training with youth preferred.
- Experience in restaurant operations preferred. Front of the House knowledge a plus.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required. College degree a plus.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications.
- Previous track record of consistently exceeding guest expectations and have an uncompromising approach to service and follow through.
- Demonstrated passion for hospitality industry.
- Ability to put student first and self last.
- An understanding that personal life experiences may not inform the work.
- Ability to proactively communicate with peers and supervisors, especially around difficult conversations.
- Ready, willing, and excited to learn new things, have new experiences, and have traditional thinking challenged.
- Open to feedback and willing to immediately implement feedback.
- Strong ability to manage emotions in what is sometimes a highly emotional work environment.
- Prepared to always assume the best of coworkers and students.
- An understanding and recognition of how structural racism affects and impacts the daily lives and job search for Reconcile students.
- A deep commitment to social justice.
- An understanding of the difference between equity and equality and how both might affect Reconcile students.
- At times, a flexible work schedule may be required to include nights, weekends and holidays. The regular expected training shift is Monday – Friday 8am – 4pm.
This position will pay an industry-competitive hourly wage with tips. Starting rate is $7.25 per hour plus tips – with opportunities for merit-based increases at 90-days employment, six months and annually. Cafe Reconcile also offers paid holidays that fall on regularly scheduled work days.
To apply: send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.